marketing has always relied on some sort of measurement yet 33% of marketersdon’t know which digital marketing strategy has the biggest ROI impact on their business. This is because traditional marketing focuses solely on the awareness piece of the marketing pie whereas data-driven marketing takes a broader look at the full customer journey.
From awareness to referral, data-driven marketing collects data from consumer interactions to help anticipate your customer needs, behaviors and wants. It equips you with the information necessary for you to tailor your brand communication, offers, and ads. Your marketing efforts will then produce a higher ROI because you are giving visitors what they want based on the phase of the customer journey they are on.
Data-driven marketing is also known as growth marketing, experiment-driven marketing, growth hacking, full-funnel marketing, creative iterated growth, and data-driven growth so we use these words interchangeably throughout this article.
Now that you understand what full-funnel marketing is you need to begin collecting customer data so here are ten data-driven marketing tools to boost your ROI:
#1: Google Analytics
Use: Tracking user website behavior and reporting
Having Google Analytics is synonymous with having a website because it’s what allows you to monitor and analyze how people are interacting with your website. With this data you are able to see where most of your traffic is coming from, bounce rates, session duration, customer demographics, and more.
- Better understand your end user, therefore, be able to customize your marketing, content, offers, site structure, and more.
- Use your analytics with Google’s advertising and publisher products since they are built to work together.
- Export and share reports including:
- Audience reports
- Advertising reports
- Acquisition reports
- Behavior reports
- Conversion reports
- Real-time reporting
- User flow reporting
Use: Inbound marketing plus sales software to help you attract, convert, and close leads
Hubspot is an all in one tool with capabilities in different areas such as content marketing management, social media marketing, email marketing, blogging, landing pages, SEO, and web analytics.
- Blogging: Tools to help you create, format, and optimize your content for SEO
- Landing pages: Fully functional landing pages that work across all devices
- Email: Use email templates, tailor your subject lines, and run A/B tests to increase conversion rates
- Marketing Automation: use past behavior data to adjust future marketing campaigns at scale
- Lead Management: access your leads contact information and library of past interactions
- Analytics: view your funnel analytics and see what’s working and what’s not
- CMS: Use a drag and drop builder to create a fully functional website
- Social Media: Monitor, track, and schedule your social media efforts
- SEO: develop your SEO strategy and SEO ROI
- Calls-to-Action: design CTA’s and measure their performance
- Ads: track FB and AdWords ad performance
Price: Depends on the tool:
- CRM hub: Free forever
- Sales Hub: Free with option to upgrade to a paid monthly subscriptio
- Starter $50 per month one (1) user included.
- Professional $400 per month five (5) users included.
- Marketing Hub: Free and paid subscription options
- Starter $50 per month.
- Basic Starting at $200 per month (billed annually)
- Professional Starting at $800 per month (billed annually)
- Enterprise Starting at $2,400 per month (billed annually)
Use: Influencer search and backlinks tool
People buy from people who they know and trust so Buzzsumo helps you identify the best influencers that are aligned with your brand and whose audience is similar to yours. You can also use its search option by entering a keyword in order to find the websites that are linking to top content.
- Find the most shared content for any topic plus set content alerts
- See what type of content is resonating including format, length, and headlines
- Use the influencer search to find influencers. Filter by location, # of followers, authority, and engagement
- Competitor analysis
- Get notified when certain keywords or brands are mentioned
Price: Try 5 searches for free
- Subscriptions paid monthly or annually, all come w/ unlimited searches +
- Pro $79 – 5 alerts & 5K mentions.
- Plus $139 – 10 alerts, 10K mentions & question analyzer.
- Large $239 – 30 alerts, 20K mentions, question & FB analyzers
- Enterprise $499+ 50+ alerts, question & Facebook analyzers; + 5
- (customer tailored plan) years of data search capabilities
Use: Easy visual content creation platform even if you don’t have extensive design knowledge.
Having coherent branding visuals is not a luxury but a requirement for businesses today. Canva realized that not everyone has the skills, knowledge, or time to use more advanced platforms like Adobe Illustrator so Canva was born.
- Easy to use
- Drag and drop like features
- Customizable templates
- Premade templates for social media banners, flyers, infographics, business cards, menus, logos, advertisement banners, book covers, ebooks, and more
Pricing: Free Google Chrome extension or app download
- Canva for Work – $9.95 or $12.95 per user paid annually
- Canva Enterprise – customizable plans for teams of 30+
Use: Keyword research, content marketing, and link building tool
You can’t have an effective data-driven marketing strategy without an effective SEO strategy that will drive traffic to your site. SEMRush is a data-driven tool to help you build a profitable keyword strategy by giving you access to analytics reports, tools, and projects. Use SEMRush to up your content strategy by using their keyword research, creating a competitor positioning map, seeing your organic search as well as paid traffic, track past and current rankings, find advertising opportunities and more.
- View domain position changes
- See competitors Ad strategies
- Deep link analysis
- Identify the most profitable keywords for your SEO and PPC campaigns
- Export data in PDF report
Pricing: Free for 30 days (credit card required)
- Pro $99.95/month
- Guru $199.95/month
- Business $399.95/month
- Customized & Enterprise plans also available
#6: Google Search Console (previously Webmaster Tools)
Use: Helps you create & maintain a Google-friendly website & mobile app
Google is the biggest search engine out there so make sure your site is in accordance with it by using this tool. With Google Search Console, you can monitor your search traffic, fix issues, submit your sitemap, and inspect your URLsl.
- View your website performance including total clicks, impressions, average CTR, and performance
- Inspect any URL on your property aka your website
- Submit your sitemap so that Google bots crawl any new updates you could have made
- Track mobile usability and mobile version errors
- Be alerted of malware attacks
- Uncover any 404 errors and duplicate or missing HTML elements
#7: Atomic Reach
Use: Content intelligence platform for understanding, creating, & measuring the performance of your content
Having a solid content strategy is the foundation of building trust, authority, and driving conversions. Atomic Reach is a platform that equips you with all the tools you need so that you magnify your content marketing strategy.
- Use their content scoring system to gauge the quality of your content
- See why some content performs better than other types of content
- Take advantage of their proprietary context engine to help you in the editing process
Pricing: Free 14 day trial
- Packages vary between blogs, ads, emails, & enterprise
- All packages include content scoring, conversion recipe, and predictive performance
Use: Proofreading, grammar, and spell checking
Whether you’re writing social media posts, website copy, email campaigns, or ad copy, grammar and readability are important across all channels. Mistake free writing has never been easier, thanks to Grammarly.
- Install the chrome extension to make it even easier to use
Pricing: Free basic proofreading, grammar, spell check
- Grammarly Premium
- $29.95 per month
- 98 per month (billed as one quarterly payment of $59.95.)
- $11.66 per month (billed as one annual payment of $139.95.)
Use: Marketing automation platform with email marketing service provider
MailChimp has made a name for itself in the email marketing arena because of all of its capabilities and functions for small to medium-sized businesses.
- Set up email automation
- Send one-time email campaigns
- GDPR compliant
- Embed or use landing pages to capture emails
- View open rates and click-through rates per campaign
- Customer support via email, live chat, videos, and tutorials
Pricing: Free if < 2,000 subscribers (send up to 12,000 emails per month)
- Growing Business – $10/month
- Pro Marketer – $199/month
#10: Google Pagespeed Insights
Use: Powerful site loading checker tool
Page load time plays a role in not only user experience but also SEO rankings, so having the Google Pagespeed Insights to help you determine your page speed is invaluable. A mere 1 second delay in load time results in 11% loss in page views so ideally, you’d want to keep your page load time to less than 1.5 seconds.
- Receive a performance score. Below 50 is considered low
- View real-world field data
- Audits are broken down into opportunities, diagnostics and passed audits
- View both mobile and desktop results by entering your domain on the tool
Pricing: Free online tool or Google Chrome extension
Use Smart Data to Deliver a Higher Marketing ROI
All of these tools are meant to help you make sense of all your data and in turn improve your marketing strategy and ROI. Through the data provided by growth marketing, you are able to better serve your customers by customizing how they receive your offers, ads, blogs, promotions, images, and emails. Having a sound marketing strategy is part of the equation but utilizing smart data to determine what marketing campaign has a higher ROI and why is even more important.